“Some said it couldn’t be done – others said we’d never make it”. That quote from one of the city’s founders was made on March 4, 1963 when a New England type town meeting was held and the Town of Belleair Bluffs on the western shore of Pinellas County was born.Meetings of the first Town Council were held in various business offices. In 1963 and in spite of objections, the Town Council approved the purchase of a building at 115 Florence Drive for $30,000 to be used as a Town Hall.
The first annual Christmas tree lighting and carol sing took place at the Belleair Bluffs Town Hall that same year. The first budget for fiscal year 1964-65 was approved in the amount of $46,955 and the first patrol car was purchased.
In 1964 there were 785 registered voters, a fire truck was purchased for $16,995 and a volunteer fire department was established with 13 volunteers.
The name of the town was changed to the City of Belleair Bluffs in those early years and the city slowly increased its municipal limits until it reached it current size of just under ¾ of a square mile.
Today Belleair Bluffs is still just under ¾ of a square mile in size and is almost completely built-out with 2200 inhabitants. The city of Belleair Bluffs is made up of 200 businesses – commercial and professional – as well as 540 single-family homes, 320 apartments and 650 condominium units.
Belleair Bluffs provides for its residents a wide range of living choices and a shopping capability which, while small, serves the needs of both the City and its neighboring communities being one of the gateways to the Gulf beaches. The Belleair Bluffs‘s current budget is $2,122,570. The annual tree lighting and carol sing continues to be a focal point of the year for the residents of Belleair Bluffs.
Belleair Bluffs is home to several outstanding restaurants as well as service stations, grocery, convenience, & drug stores, and a variety of antiques & gift shops.
Banks, realtors, and other personal services are all readily available ” Belleair Bluffs“
Pinellas County maintains a boat launch on the Northside of the causeway providing easy access to the Intra-coastal and the Gulf of Mexico.
Housing in Belleair Bluffs is primarily single family homes, with a limited number of condominiums, duplexes, and apartment buildings. Residents include retirees, snowbirds, families, and single working professionals.
There are many things to do in and around Belleair Bluffs. You may be interested in several of these attractions
SAND KEY PARK A Pinellas CountyPark off of Gulf Blvd., just South of Clearwater Pass at the North End of Sand Key Clearwater Beach, FL. Beyond the towering condos at the northern-most tip of Sand Key lies Sand Key County Park. It is the saving grace of the north end of Sand Key and one of the best beach parks on the Gulf Coast. The shelly, white sand beach is among the widest in the area and a favorite among the “experts.”
BEACH ART CENTER 1515 Bay Palm Boulevard Indian Rocks Beach, FL 33785
727-596-4331 Fax: 727-596-4331
The north end of Treasure Island is marked by John’s Pass which is a natural water boundary that separates Treasure Island on the south from neighboring Madeira Beach to the north.
The “Great Gale” of 1848 created John’s Pass created John’s Pass which was discovered by a local fisherman named, you guessed it, John, when he returned to the area following the storm. The storm surge from must have been a very large hurricane literally punched a hole in the long island that ran along the Pinellas County coast forming a water pass.
Today, John’s Pass serves the area’s marine interests as one of the few ways to get from the Inter-coastal Waterway to the Gulf of Mexico. A recently reconstructed John’s Pass Drawbridge connects Treasure Island and Madeira Beach.
On the north side of John’s Pass in Madeira Beach is the famous John’s Pass Village. Modeled after an early 20th century fishing village, John’s Pass Village is home to a wide variety of shops and resturants that attract both tourist and locals.
THE GULF BEACHES HISTORICAL MUSEUM 115-10th Avenue Pass-A-Grill
St. Pete Beach, FL (727) 552-1610
DINING OUT AROUND BELLEAIR BLUFFS
Hospitals/Medical Centers near Belleair Bluffs, FL
- MORTON PLANT HOSPITAL (Acute Care Hospitals, Voluntary non-profit – Private, provides emergency services, about 2 miles away; Clearwater, FL
- Largo MEDICAL CENTER (Acute Care Hospitals, Proprietary, provides emergency services, about 2 miles away; Largo, FL
- MEASE HOSPITAL DUNEDIN (Acute Care Hospitals, Government – Local, provides emergency services, about 7 miles away; DUNEDIN
Banks In Belleair Bluffs and nearby Areas
- SunTrust Bank: Belleair Branch at 380 North Indian Rocks Road, branch established on 06/06/1994. Info updated 11/24/2010: Bank assets: $164,556.8 mil, Deposits: $123,435.4 mil, headquarters in Atlanta, GA, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1732 total offices, Holding Company: Suntrust Banks, Inc..
- Northern Trust, National Association: Belleair Bluffs, FL Branch at 525 Indian Rocks Road, Belleair Bluffs, FL branch established on 10/01/2001. Info updated 10/30/2006: Bank assets: $11,978.5 mil, Deposits: $9,310.5 mil, headquarters in Miami, FL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 67 total offices, Holding Company: Northern Trust Corporation
- Regions Bank: Belleair Bluffs, FL Branch at 2845 West Bay Drive, Belleair Bluffs, FL branch established on10/14/1993. Info updated 02/09/2009: Bank assets: $129,067.7 mil, Deposits: $99,803.3 mil, headquarters in Birmingham, AL, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1784 total offices, Holding Company: Regions Financial Corporation
- Wells Fargo Bank, National Association: Belleair Bluffs, FL Branch at 2515 West Bay Drive, Belleair Bluffs branch established on 08/07/1979. Info updated 12/01/2010: Bank assets: $1,070,489.0 mil, Deposits: $811,027.0 mil, headquarters in Sioux Falls, SD, positive income, 6537 total offices, Holding Company: Wells Fargo & Company
- Homebanc National Association:Belleair, FL Branch at 101 North Indian Rocks Road, Belleair branch established on 02/12/2009. Info updated 06/04/2010: Bank assets: $31.9 mil, Deposits: $28.3 mil, headquarters in Lake Mary, FL, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Homebancorp, Inc.
- Old Harbor Bank:Belleair, FL Branch at 715 North Indian Rocks Road, branch established on 10/10/2006. Info updated 11/03/2006: Bank assets: $22.6 mil, Deposits: $21.8 mil, headquarters in Clearwater, FL, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 8 total offices
- Branch Banking and Trust Company: Belleair Bluffs Branch at 401 North Indian Rocks Road, Belleair Bluffs branch established on 01/24/1995. Info updated 03/29/2010: Bank assets: $151,545.4 mil, Deposits: $105,623.4 mil, headquarters in Winston Salem, NC, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1795 total offices, Holding Company: Bb&T Corporation
- Bank of America, National Association: Belleair Bluffs, FL Branch at 125 Indian Rocks Road North, branch established on 07/27/1987. Info updated 11/18/2009: Bank assets: $1,489,198.0 mil, Deposits:$1,021,724.0 mil, headquarters in Charlotte, NC, positive income, 5991 total offices, Holding Company: Bank Of America Corporation