Indian Shores is a town in Pinellas County, Florida. The town of Indian Shores is a beach-front community situated on a barrier island west of Seminole, Florida. The population of Indian Shores was 1,705 at the 2000 census. Indian Shores has recently undergone multiple construction and renovation projects, including utility under grounding, road re-surfacing, and the placement of pedestrian safety measures. The town of Indian Shores is also in the process of constructing a new municipal center to replace the decades old, antiquated facility.
Indian Shores is a quieter, less crowded alternative to its larger and better-known neighbors such as Clearwater Beach and St. Pete Beach. It’s a great place for vacationers seeking a quiet or family vacation.
Originally called “Indian Rocks Beach, South Shore” as a way to distinguish itself from Indian Rocks Beach, the Town of Indian Shores was incorporated in 1949 and changed its name in 1973. Despite its small population (1,400) and limited extent (19 city blocks long and 1 city block wide), Indian Shores provides plenty of entertainment for its visitors.
The largest non-profit wild bird hospital in the United States, the Sun Coast Seabird Sanctuary, is located in Indian Shores. The sanctuary houses and treats injured pelicans, herons, egrets, owls, hawks and other birds. Many other activities such as adventure golf and boat rentals are within an easy drive.
Indian Shores is also home to some fantastic restaurants. No trip to the area would be complete without a visit to the famous Salt Rock Grill. Weather permitting, sit outside on the waterfront deck and enjoy the view.
Other restaurants and bars in Indian Shores include The Hungry Fisherman, Chateau Madrid and The Pub Waterfront Grill. If you want to experience what a Key West style bar was like in the days of Ernest Hemingway, visit Mahuffer’s (a.k.a Sloppy John’s) on Gulf Blvd, just north of the Park Blvd bridge. Self-described as the “wurst” place on the beach, with lousy food and warm beer, Mahuffer’s has received numerous accolades from HGTV, the Travel Channel, Travelocity, and has been named Best of Tampa Bay two years in a row. Worth a visit, even if you decide you don’t like it.
Families and couples seeking a relaxing place to enjoy the beach and good food should consider Indian Shores as their next vacation spot.
Lodging Around Indian Shores
Phone: 727-596-0109 Reservations: 1-877-8-3palms
Your Perfect Florida Vacation Begins Here!
Book your perfect vacation with THREE PALMS PROPERTY MANAGEMENT! We offer 1,2, and 3 bedroom condo vacation rentals and homes along the pristine white sand beaches of the Gulf of Mexico. Enjoy our obtainable luxury!
Where relaxation comes naturally!
A premier enclave of Indian Rocks beachfront suites and cottages recapturing the “Spirit of Old Florida” in the quaint coastal village of Indian Rocks Beach. Island charm and sophisticated interiors combine with cheerful gardens, heated pool, sea kayaks, umbrellas, beach cabanas, shuffleboard, and bicycles. Family owned and operated for over 20 years.
Quaint Cottages on wide Gulf of Mexico Beach
Get pampered at this magnificent beachfront micro-resort composed of four private, Key West Style Cottages. Full kitchens, Cable/VCR, etc. A nature lover´s paradise on this deep, white sandy Indian Rocks Beach. This year, once again they were certified as a “Superior Small Lodging”.
Vacation rentals to suit all budgets – very large selection of condos
In Indian Rocks Beach, we offer gorgeous condos at Reef Club, Casablanca, Sunset Paradise, West Coast Vista and more. Of course, we also offer vacation rentals at other great resorts along the entire Gulf Coast. The good life starts here at Florida Lifestyle Vacation Rentals!
Directly on the Gulf of Mexico
Great Heron Inn of Indian Rocks Beach is a family-run motel with 16 motel suites, offering pool-side and Gulf-front units. Heated pool. Featuring full 1 bedroom apartment suites and a spacious 3 bedroom condo apartment. Monthly rates available.
A Key West style resort ! Newly remodeled rooms and suites. Private 50-slip waterfront marina. Two heated swimming pools, whirlpool spa and a full service pool bar. Jimmy Guana´s Key West style restaurant offers island fare, entertainment and much more. Come once to the Harbourside in Indian Rocks Beach , and you will return many times.
Seasonal Rental Properties on Florida’s Gulf Coast
Jack Collins Rentals, with more than 30 years experience and the largest selection inthe area, is your best vacation rental choice on Florida’s Gulf Coast. We offer seasonal vacation rentals in Belleair Beach, Indian Shores, Indian Rocks Beach, Redington Shores and Madeira Beach, with properties such as the Reef Club, Reflections on the Gulf, and Hamilton House. Visit our website to start planning your Florida vacation today.
Located Directly on the Gulf of Mexico – Surf Fishing On Site
Nautical Watch, a beachfront resort in beautiful Belleair Beach, features private Gulf-front sunbathing, heated pool, hot tub, surf fishing, night fishing, snorkeling and nearby marinas. The finest restaurants and shopping are only minutes away. Dinner cruises, Museums, Tennis Courts, Golf Courses, Jai-Alai, Greyhound/Dog Racing, and Major League Baseball Spring Training are all within a short drive of the Nautical Watch Beach Resort. So come and enjoy it all, or… do absolutely nothing at all! Pelican East 108 21st Avenue Indian Rocks Beach, FL 33785 Phone: (727) 595-9741
Smoke Free – Petless – Affordable
Pelican East is a “vintage Florida” vacation destination, a small family owned and operated motel in Indian Rocks Beachwith just 5 units. Our 1950′s studio apartments are totally modernized, with complete kitchens, including microwaves. All our units are air conditioned, heated and have cable TV. Our moderately priced units are just a one minute walk from the beach. Our guests enjoy the quiet side of the street, just off Gulf Boulevard, in Indian Rocks Beach yet are so close to the beach and the water.
Where relaxation comes naturally!
A premier enclave of private luxury beachfront homes, cottages and suites recapturing the “Spirit of Old Florida” in the quaint coastal village of Indian Rocks Beach. Island charm and sophisticated interiors combine with exotic gardens, heated pool, sea kayaks, umbrellas, beach cabanas, and bicycles. Family owned and operated for over 20 years.
All rooms are smoke-free, pets welcome in some rooms
We offer efficiencies, 1 and 2-bedroom apartments in Indian Rocks Beach . Bicycles are available for guests at no charge, as is the hot tub. Each unit is clean, bright and completely furnished including bed and bath linens, fully equipped kitchens, air conditioning, heat and color cable television. In the courtyard there are picnic tables, gas barbecue grills and shuffleboard. All rooms are personally cleaned and maintained by the owners, and we have a beach wheelchair for use by our guests.
Suncoast Vacation Condos We have many properties along the Gulf Beaches…
Phone: (727) 786-2287 Fax: (727) 789-5482
Many properties along the Gulf Beaches
Suncoast Vacation Condos has several properties close to Indian Rocks Beach, such as Sutherland Crossing Resort in Crystal Beach. Located on St. Joseph Sound and with private tennis courts, Sutherland is a deal at $850 per week for a 3-bedroom unit.
There are many things to do in and around “Indian Shores“. You may be interested in several of these attractions
BEACH ART CENTER 1515 Bay Palm Boulevard Indian Rocks Beach, FL 33785
727-596-4331 Fax: 727-596-4331
SUNCOAST SEABIRD SANCTUARY 18328 Gulf Blvd. Indian Shores, FL (727) 391-6211
DINING OUT IN AND AROUND INDIAN SHORES
SeafoodArmed with the motto “the customer’s attitude is more important that their attire”, Keegan’s Seafood Grille was born….
Seafood, Steakhouse $15 – $30Located in Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, directly on the Intracoastal Waterway, featuring a 5,000 square foot covered…
AmericanWelcome to Coasters Bar & Grille! We specialize in delicious and reasonablypriced cuisine, including our house…1309 Gulf Blvd., Indian Rocks Beach
Tapas / Small Plates, Spanish $0 – $14Upscale Food in a Casual Atmosphere
Seafood $15 – $30The favorite gathering place for locals and visitors is the perfect spot to enjoy lunch and/or dinner along the…1701 Gulf Blvd., Indian Rocks BeachOn the Rocks
American, Seafood $15 – $30
SeafoodLots of locals call this their favorite venue for a relaxing meal and a little convivial company.
French $31 – $50Welcome to La Cachette, our “hideaway at the beach.” Our restaurant specializes in many of the regional and classical…
Seafood $0 – $14
Italian $0 – $14
Italian, Pizza, Ice Cream, Coffeehouse $15 – $30
Mexican $0 – $14
American, Tapas / Small Plates
Seafood $0 – $14
Coffeehouse $0 – $14
Japanese $0 – $14
Italian $15 – $30
Pizza $0 – $14
American $0 – $14
American $0 – $14
2208 Gulf Blvd., Indian Rocks Beach
2300 Gulf Blvd. Suite 5, Indian Rocks Beach
American, Continental, European, German, BritishLocated in beautiful North Redington Beach, Florida, The Wine Cellar continues to be a coveted dining, banquet and…
Steakhouse $15 – $30Since 1985 E&E Stakeout Grill has served some of the best steak, Prime Rib, Daily Seafood Specials and more in a…
American, Seafood, SteakhouseOne of the best dining views in the area.
French $0 – $14When you’re in the mood for good times and great cuisine, be sure to checkout Le Bouchon Bistro. The restaurant is…
American, Italian, Steakhouse
MediterraneanContinental classics amid brick-lined, softly-lit dining rooms.
SeafoodThe most ambitious effort yet from Pinellas County seafood aficionados Frank Chivas and Tom Pritchard.
Seafood $0 – $14An International Meal On Indian Rocks Beach
$0 – $14
American $0 – $14
Pizza, Deli $0 – $14
17093 Gulf Blvd., North Redington Beach
16905 Gulf Blvd., North Redington Beach
Coffeehouse $0 – $142700 W. Bay Dr.,Belleair BluffsIndian Shores Transportation
Indian Shores Higher Education
Local colleges and universities include Hillsborough Community College, the University ofTampa, PascoHernando Community College, the University of South Florida, Manatee Community College and Saint Leo University.
Hospitals/medical centers near Indian Shores:
- LARGO MEDICAL CENTER (Acute Care Hospitals, Proprietary, provides emergency services, about 4 miles away; LARGO, FL)
- MORTON PLANT HOSPITAL (Acute Care Hospitals, Voluntary non-profit – Private, provides emergency services, about 5 miles away;CLEARWATER, FL)
- BAY PINES VA MEDICAL CENTER (Acute Care – Veterans Administration, Government Federal, about 7 miles away; BAY PINES, FL)
Amtrak stations near Indian Shores:
- 10 miles: CLEARWATER (20967 U.S. 19) – Bus Station
- 11 miles: PINELLAS PARK (PARK BLVD. AT U.S. 19) – Bus Station .Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 18 miles: TARPON SPRINGS (2337 U.S. 19) – Bus Station
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Indian Shores:
- St Petersburg College (about 9 miles; Clearwater, FL; Full-time enrollment: 9,555)
- Eckerd College (about 16 miles; Saint Petersburg, FL; FT enrollment:2,132)
- University of South Florida-St. PetersburgCampus (about 17 miles; St. Petersburg, FL; FT enrollment: 2,227)
- The University of Tampa (about 24 miles; Tampa, FL; FT enrollment:5,429)
- Hillsborough Community College (about 25 miles; Tampa, FL; FT enrollment: 11,277)
- University of South Florida-Main Campus (about 29 miles; Tampa, FL; FT enrollment: 27,329)
- Pasco-Hernando Community College (about 30 miles; New Port Richey, FL;FT enrollment: 4,159)
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Indian Shores, Florida:
- Great Heron Inn, 68 Gulf Blvd, Indian Rocks Beach, FL 33785 , Phone: (727) 595-2589, Fax: (727) 517-2705
- Sea Star Motel, 1805 N Gulf Blvd, Indian Rocks Beach, FL 34635
- Whispering Waters Motel, 604 N Gulf Blvd, Indian Rocks Beach, FL 34635
- Sandy Shore Motel & Apartments, 816 N Gulf Blvd, Indian Rocks Beach, FL 34635
- Sea Resort Motel, 102 Gulf Blvd, Indian Rocks Beach, FL 34635
- Fifty Gulfside Condominium, 50 Gulf Blvd, Indian Rocks Beach, FL 33785
- Paradise Palms Motel, 19340 Gulf Blvd, Indian Rocks Beach, FL 33785 ,Phone: (800) 430-6835
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Harbourside, 401 Second St, Indian Rocks Beach, FL 33785 , Phone: (727) 595-9484, Fax: (727) 596-4825
Strongest AM radio stations in Indian Shores:
- WMGG (820 AM; 50 kW; LARGO, FL; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF ST. PETERSBURG LICENSEE
- WWBA (1040 AM; 4 kW; PINELLAS PARK, FL; Owner: GENESIS COMMUNICATIONS OF TAMPA BAY, INC.
- WFLA 970 AM; 25 kW; TAMPA, FL; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.
- WHNZ 1250 AM; 25 kW; TAMPA, FL; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.
- WTIS 1110 AM; daytime; 10 kW; TAMPA, FL; Owner: WTIS-AM, INC.
- WGUL 860 AM; 5 kW; DUNEDIN, FL; Owner: WGUL-FM, INC.
- WQYK 1010 AM; 50 kW; SEFFNER, FL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF TAMPA
- WDAE (620 AM; 5 kW; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.
- WTAN 1340 AM; 1 kW; CLEARWATER, FL; Owner: WAGENVOORD ADVERTISTING GROUP, INC.
- WLVU 1470 AM; 5 kW; DUNEDIN, FL; Owner: GENESIS COMMUNICATIONS OF TAMPA BAY, INC.
- WXYB 1520 AM; daytime; 1 kW; INDIAN ROCKS BEACH, FL; Owner: ASA BROADCASTING, INC
- WWMI 1380 AM; 5 kW; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: ABC, INC.
- WTMP 1150 AM; 10 kW; EGYPT LAKE, FL; Owner: TAMPA BROADCASTING, LTD.
Strongest FM radio stations inIndian Shores:
- WYUU (92.5 FM; SAFETY HARBOR, FL; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.
- WXTB 97.9 FM; CLEARWATER, FL; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.
- WBBY 107.3 FM; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.
- WRBQ-FM (104.7 FM; TAMPA, FL; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.
- WSSR (95.7 FM; CLEARWATER, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.
- WDUV 105.5 FM; NEW PORT RICHEY, FL; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.
- WSUN-FM 97.1 FM;HOLIDAY, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC
- WPOI 101.5 FM; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.
- WWRM 94.9 FM; TAMPA, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WLLD 98.7 FM; HOLMES BEACH, FL; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.
- WFLZ-FM 93.3 FM; TAMPA, FL; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.
- WMTX 100.7 FM; TAMPA, FL; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.
- WQYK-FM99.5 FM; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF FLORIDA
- WTBT 103.5 FM; BRADENTON, FL; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.
- WHPT 102.5 FM; SARASOTA, FL; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.
- WUSF 89.7 FM; TAMPA, FL; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF S. FLORIDA
- WSJT 94.1 FM; LAKELAND, FL; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.
- WBVM 90.5 FM; TAMPA, FL; Owner: BISHOP OF THE DIOCESE/ST. PETERSBURG
- WFTI-FM 91.7 FM; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.
- WYFE 88.9 FM; TARPON SPRINGS, FL; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.
TV broadcast stations around Indian Shores:
- W33CC Channel 33; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.
- WMOR-LP Channel 63; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: WMOR-TV COMPANY)
- WTSP Channel 10; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: PACIFIC AND SOUTHERN COMPANY, INC.
- W36CO Channel 36; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK
- W61AI Channel 61; ROCK HARBOR, FL; Owner: MAKO COMMUNICATIONS, LLC
- WEDU Channel 3; TAMPA, FL; Owner: FLORIDA WEST COAST PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.
- WARP-CA Channel 20; TAMPA–ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: SUNSHINE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.
- WXAX-LP (Channel 26; CLEARWATER, FL; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORP.
- WTOG Channel 44; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: VIACOM INTERNATIONAL INC.
- WFLA-TV Channel 8; TAMPA, FL; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.
- WFTS-TV Channel 28; TAMPA, FL; Owner:TAMPA BAY TELEVISION, INC.
- WXPXChannel 66; BRADENTON, FL; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATION LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WUSF-TV Channel 16;TAMPA, FL; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA
- WTTA Channel 38; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: BAY TELEVISION, INC.
- WFTT Channel 50; TAMPA, FL; Owner: TELEFUTURA TAMPA LLC
- W48AY Channel 48; OLDSMAR, FL; Owner: AMKA BROADCAST NETWORK, INC.
- WTVT Channel 13; TAMPA, FL; Owner: TVT LICENSE, INC.
- WCLF Channel 22; CLEARWATER, FL; Owner: CHRISTIAN TELEVISION CORPORATION, INC.
- WTAM-LP Channel 6; TAMPA, FL; Owner: U.S. INTERACTIVE, L.L.C.
- WPDS-LP Channel 14; LARGO, ETC., FL; Owner: PINELLAS COUNTY SCHOOLS
- WRMD-LP Channel 57; TAMPA, FL; Owner: ZGS TELEVISION OF TAMPA, INC.
- WSPF-CA (Channel 35; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: CITY OF
- ST. PETERSBURG)
- WSVT-LP (Channel 18; BRADENTON, FL; Owner: WORD OF GOD FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- WVEA-LP (Channel 61; TAMPA, FL; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WWSB (Channel 40; SARASOTA, FL; Owner: SOUTHERN BROADCAST CORPORATION OF SARASOTA)