History of Treasure Island
The area of Treasure Island was originally settled in small communities by the Timucua around 300 CE. The Timucua traded with other Indian tribes in the area until the arrival of Pánfilo de Narváez in 1528. De Narváez decimated the people and countless numbers of birds before leaving the area in search of gold.
Treasure Island got its name after several property owners attempted to boost sales of the properties being developed on the island of Treasure Island by first burying and then pretending to discover a couple of wooden chests on the beach around 1915. After claiming the chests were filled with treasure, the news of the discovery quickly spread and people began calling the island Treasure Island.
Treasure Island saw a surge in residential home and hotel growth following World War II through the 1950s. The Treasure Island real estate used in these ventures often consisted of fill from dredged material.
Demographics and Geography of Treasure Island
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city of Treasure Island has a total area of 5.3 square miles (13.8 km²). 1.6 square miles (4.1 km²) of it is land and 3.7 square miles (9.7 km²) of it (70.11%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,450 people, 4,128 households, and 2,059 families residing in Treasure Island. The Treasure Island population density was 4,679.0 inhabitants per square mile (1,809.1/km²). In Treasure Island there were 5,694 housing units at an average density of 3,576.2 per square mile (1,382.7/km²). The Treasure Island racial makeup of the city was 97.69% White, 0.28% African American, 0.28% Native American, 0.59% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.43% from other races, and 0.70% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.23% of the population.
In Treasure Island here were 4,128 households out of which 10.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.8% were married couples living together, 4.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 50.1% were non-families. 41.5% of all Treasure Island households were made up of individuals and 14.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average Treasure Island household size was 1.80 and the average family size was 2.38.
In the city of Treasure Island, the population was spread out with 9.2% under the age of 18, 2.7% from 18 to 24, 23.4% from 25 to 44, 38.5% from 45 to 64, and 26.3% who were 65 years of age or older. In Treasure Island the median age was 52 years. For every 100 females there were 95.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.0 males.
The median income for a household in the Treasure Island was $42,150, and the median income for a family was $64,158. Males had a median income of $38,903 versus $32,586 for females. The per capita income for the Treasure Island was $34,965. About 3.9% of families and 5.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 0.4% of those under age 18 and 6.9% of those age 65 or over.
Things to do in Treasure Island
Treasure Island‘s best known attraction is our beach which is made up of three miles of white sandy beach bordered by the beautiful Gulf of Mexico. You can walk along the sea shore or take a stroll on the Treasure Island Beach Trail.
The Treasure Island Beach Trail is a mile long walkway along the east side of the beach. The Treasure Island Beach Trail provides easy access to the motels, restaurants and bars that make up the heart of Treasure Island‘s hotel district.
Treasure Island‘s Beach is the perfect place for a Florida Beach Wedding.
Treasure Island‘s downtown provides several clothing stores, a drug store, banks, liquor store, florist, restaurants, bars and a new Publix grocery store.
Strongest AM Radio Stations in Treasure Island
- WMGG (820 AM; 50 kW; LARGO, FL; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF
- ST. PETERSBURG LICENSEE)
- WWBA (1040 AM; 4 kW; PINELLAS PARK, FL; Owner: GENESIS COMMUNICATIONS OF TAMPA BAY, INC.)
- WFLA (970 AM; 25 kW; TAMPA, FL; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WHNZ 1250 AM; 25 kW; TAMPA, FL; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.
- WTIS 1110 AM; daytime; 10 kW; TAMPA, FL; Owner: WTIS-AM, INC.
- WGUL 860 AM; 5 kW; DUNEDIN, FL; Owner: WGUL-FM, INC.
- WQYK 1010 AM; 50 kW; SEFFNER, FL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF TAMPA
- WDAE 620 AM; 5 kW; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.
- WTAN 1340 AM; 1 kW; CLEARWATER, FL; Owner: WAGENVOORD ADVERTISTING GROUP, INC.
- WLVU 1470 AM; 5 kW; DUNEDIN, FL; Owner: GENESIS COMMUNICATIONS OF TAMPA BAY, INC.
- WXYB 1520 AM; daytime; 1 kW; INDIAN ROCKS BEACH, FL; Owner: ASA BROADCASTING, INC
- WWMI 1380 AM; 5 kW; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: ABC, INC.
- WTMP (1150 AM; 10 kW; EGYPT LAKE, FL; Owner: TAMPA BROADCASTING, LTD.
Strongest FM radio stations in Treasure Island
- WYUU 92.5 FM; SAFETY HARBOR, FL; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.
- WXTB 97.9 FM; CLEARWATER, FL; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.
- WBBY 107.3 FM; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.
- WRBQ-FM 104.7 FM; TAMPA, FL; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.
- WSSR 95.7 FM; CLEARWATER, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.
- WDUV 105.5 FM; NEW PORT RICHEY, FL; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.
- WSUN-FM 97.1 FM;HOLIDAY, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC
- WPOI 101.5 FM; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.
- WWRM 94.9 FM; TAMPA, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WLLD 98.7 FM; HOLMES BEACH, FL; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC
- WFLZ-FM 93.3 FM; TAMPA, FL; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.
- WMTX 100.7 FM; TAMPA, FL; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.
- WQYK-FM 99.5 FM; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF FLORIDA
- WTBT 103.5 FM; BRADENTON, FL; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.
- WHPT 102.5 FM; SARASOTA, FL; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.
- WUSF 89.7 FM; TAMPA, FL; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF S. FLORIDA
- WSJT 94.1 FM; LAKELAND, FL; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.
- WBVM 90.5 FM; TAMPA, FL; Owner: BISHOP OF THE DIOCESE/
- ST. PETERSBURG
- WFTI-FM 91.7 FM; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.
- WYFE 88.9 FM; TARPON SPRINGS, FL; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.
TV broadcast stations around Treasure Island:
- W33CC Channel 33; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.
- WMOR-LP Channel 63; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: WMOR-TV COMPANY
- WTSP Channel 10; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: PACIFIC AND SOUTHERN COMPANY, INC.
- W36CO Channel 36; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner:TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK
- W61AI Channel 61; ROCK HARBOR, FL; Owner: MAKO COMMUNICATIONS, LLC
- WEDU Channel 3; TAMPA, FL; Owner: FLORIDA WEST COAST PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.
- WARP-CA Channel 20; TAMPA–ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: SUNSHINE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.
- WXAX-LP Channel 26; CLEARWATER, FL; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORP.
- WTOG (Channel 44; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: VIACOM INTERNATIONAL INC.
- WFLA-TV Channel 8; TAMPA, FL; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.
- WFTS-TV Channel 28; TAMPA, FL; Owner:TAMPA BAY TELEVISION, INC.
- WXPX Channel 66; BRADENTON, FL; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATION LICENSE COMPANY, LLC
- WUSF-TV Channel 16; TAMPA, FL; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA
- WTTA Channel 38; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: BAY TELEVISION, INC.
- WFTT Channel 50; TAMPA, FL; Owner: TELEFUTURA TAMPA LLC
- W48AY Channel 48; OLDSMAR, FL; Owner: AMKA BROADCAST NETWORK, INC.)
- WTVT Channel 13; TAMPA, FL; Owner: TVT LICENSE, INC.
- WCLF Channel 22; CLEARWATER, FL; Owner: CHRISTIAN TELEVISION CORPORATION, INC.
- WTAM-LP Channel 6; TAMPA, FL; Owner: U.S. INTERACTIVE, L.L.C.
- WPDS-LP (Channel 14; LARGO, ETC., FL; Owner: PINELLAS COUNTY SCHOOLS
- WRMD-LP Channel 57; TAMPA, FL; Owner: ZGS TELEVISION OF TAMPA, INC.)
- WSPF-CA Channel 35; ST. PETERSBURG, FL; Owner: CITY OF
- ST. PETERSBURG
- WSVT-LP Channel 18; BRADENTON, FL; Owner: WORD OF GOD FELLOWSHIP, INC.
- WVEA-LP Channel 61;TAMPA, FL; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC
- WWSB Channel 40; SARASOTA, FL; Owner: SOUTHERN BROADCAST CORPORATION OF SARASOTA